Experience both new activities and old favourites!
Cabot Shores is all about adventure.
We offer a wide range of outdoor adventures for guests -- kayaking, canoeing and paddle board rentals for you to explore the inlets and wildlife of our pond; guided hikes in all seasons; snowshoeing in the winter.... You may even hop on the Eagle Feather Ferry and propel yourself across a narrow section of Church Pond out to the beach where you can swim in the ocean, take a long walk, beach comb, or have a bonfire at night.
Swim in Church Pond, Indian Brook or the Atlantic Ocean. And do it all right at Cabot Shores! We are surrounded by water.
You can also hop on the Eagle Feather Ferry and pull yourself across Church Pond to our 2007 feet of private beach for beach combing, long walks, evening bonfires, and swims in the Atlantic Ocean, with another dip in the freshwater Church Pond to rinse off afterwards.
Incredible coastal vistas provide the backdrop to the abundant sea life found in the north Atlantic. You never know what may come up "out of the blue" - whales, dolphins, seals, tuna, halibut, the ebb and flow of thousands of mackerel coming with the tides.... The sea life is as breathtaking as the scenery.
SUP Board Rental
SUP (Stand Up Paddle) boards are more than mere paddling. SUP boards give you a whole different sense of the world as you flow with the nature around you!
Cabot Shores offers SUP board rentals to explore our coastal inlets. First time on a SUP board? No problem! We provide a short lesson to get you up and paddling in no time.
Canoe & Kayak Rentals
We offer single and double kayak and canoe rentals for your paddling explorations on Church Pond and Indian Brook.
Brought your dog along with you ? Our double kayaks are great for accommodating your best friend.
Grab adventure by the paddle and hit the water!
Guided hike $35/person
Cabot Shores is located along the beautiful Indian Brook. We have developed a wilderness trail on Cabot Shores' property along Indian Brook, so go for a stroll any time!
Following Indian Trail west leads to three amazing waterfalls and into the Indian Brook Wilderness. To the north of Cabot Shores is the French River Wilderness. And an hour's drive up the road takes you into Cape Breton Highlands National Park, with many of its best hikes right inside the park gate!
Hiking is always an adventure at Cabot Shores. We can recommend many trails at all levels of difficulty, every one of which offers you a different experience - from beautiful waterfalls to mountain summits.
Here are some trails to consider:
- Red Island Trail (1-1.5 hours round trip): With the trailhead only 2 minutes drive from Cabot Shores, this hike leads through dense forest to beautiful views of the ocean.
- Indian Brook Falls (2-3 hours round trip): With some challenging terrain, this hike tends to get longer as you stop for wild strawberries, swims, and the occasional photo.
- North River Falls (5-6 hours round trip): Go prepared! This fantastic hike is 16km hike and takes a looooooong time. You want to take enough food and water.
- Black Brook Falls & Mary Ann Falls (15-20 minutes for each location): These two waterfalls can be done as a duo, as they are about four minutes' drive from each other. The trails are easy and it is not far to the falls.
- Glooscap Cave (4-5 hours round trip): Want a real challenge? Glooscap Cave, also known as The Fairy Hole, is for you. Be prepared though! You'll need to scale a rock wall and/or take a dip in the ocean. Check with us first for a list of supplies.
- Spinnakin Mountain Summit and Hidden Lakes (4 hours round trip): The views are so breathtaking, your hiking boots will transform into dancing shoes. Guided hike only.
- Check out some local trails at or near Cabot Shores.
Do you love winter? Or would you like to love winter?! You will on your vist to Cabot Shores! Try winter hiking, snowshoeing, or cross country skiing. With plenty of trails on the property and many more nearby, the adventurer in you can continue exploring year-round.
You don’t have snowshoes with you? You can rent a pair at the front desk for $12 + tax.
In Whiff's Lodge, you’ll have access to 2 common rooms (pandemic-permitting):
- The Great Room upstairs with fireplace, comfy couches, and lots of books to read as you relax.
- The Common Room downstairs with a ping pong and pool table, more books, and some board games for fun gatherings.
Guest Wifi is available in and around our Lodge and our Events Space Building.
Listed as 1 of 5 Quirky Stays On The East Coast of Canada
"A tree top village with Smurf-like domes rising out of the forest and Mongolian yurts in Nova Scotia? Indeed! Cabot Shores on Cape Breton Island entices you to embrace your nomadic roots and connect to nature. You can stay in one of the colourful yurts or opt for a geodesic dome raised up off the ground. Take in the lake views and the Atlantic waters on both sides, while the smell of cedar fills the air. Be sure to have your camera ready to snap a moose photo (they love it there)."
~ North American Traveller