Lamb is a great meat to cook for family gatherings. While keeping in mind that you want to treat your guests; you also don’t want to spend your whole day in the kitchen! This all-in-one recipe is great because it only takes roughly 20 minutes of preparation, but it looks and tastes like the real deal!
Little hint for you: This recipe seems long but it’s only because it will slow cook for almost 4 hours in the oven. I would usually do the first 3 hours of cooking in the afternoon and leave the last step of the 45 minutes cooking just before serving. Simply delicious!
Makes 4 Servings. Active time: 20 mins. Cooking time: 3 hrs 45 mins
• 4 lamb shanks
• Salt & Pepper for seasoning
• 2 Tbsp of butter
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 3 garlic clove, finely chopped
• 1 Tsp of ground cumin
• 1 Tbsp of ginger
• 1 Cup of white wine
• 1 Can (796ml) of diced tomatoes
• Leaves of 4 thyme branches
• 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
• 1 Cup of pitted prunes
• 3 Tbsp of honey
• 2 Cups of water
• 1 Cup of barley, rinsed and drained
• A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 300F
2. Season the lamb with salt and pepper
3. In a big casserole dish (that can go into the oven), heat up the butter and sear the lamb until you get a nice coloration. Set aside in a plate
4. In the same casserole, add the onion, the garlic, the cumin and the ginger and cook for about 5 minutes. Season.
5. Add the wine and let simmer until half of the liquid have evaporate
6. Add the can of tomatoes, the thyme, the lemon juice, the prunes, the honey and the water
7. Plunge the lambs in the casserole and put in the oven for 3 hours
8. Add the barley and parsley (make sure the barley is well mixed in with the juices) and cook again for an additional 45 minutes
9. Plate one lamb with a big spoon of barley with the juice, tomato and prunes, and enjoy!