Experience new and favorite activities
Cabot Shores is all about adventure.
We offer a wide range of activities for guests, such as kayaking, canoeing and paddle boarding rentals for you to explore the inlets and wildlife of our pond; snowshoeing, guided hikes and so on. You may even hop on the Eagle Feather Ferry and propel yourself across a narrow section of Church pond out to the beach where you can swim in the ocean, walk, beach comb, or have a bonfire at night.
Swim in the pond, Indian Brook or the Atlantic Ocean; you have access to it all right by Cabot Shores. You can also get on board of our personal Eagle Feather Ferry and pull yourself across the Church Pond to get to a nice little private beach where you can swim in the Atlantic and rinse off in freshwater Church Pond.
Incredible coastal vistas provide the backdrop to the abundant sea life found in the north Atlantic. You never know what may come up ‘out of the blue’! Whales, dolphins, seals, tuna, halibut, the ebb and flow of thousands of mackerel coming with the tides. The sea life is as breathtaking as the scenery. Cabot Shores has his own 2007 foot private beach by the Atlantic Ocean.
SUP Board Rental
SUP (Stand Up Paddle) boards are more than mere paddling. SUP boards give you a whole different sense of the world, because you flow with the nature around you! Cabot Shores offers SUP board rentals to explore all of the coastal inlets.
First time on a SUP board? No problem! We provide a short lesson to get you up and paddling in no time.Rent a Paddle Board Now
Canoe / Kayak Rentals
At Cabot Shores we offer single and double kayak and canoe rentals to paddle on our large Church Pond and Indian Brook. Brought your dog with you to Cabot Shores? That’s great! Our double kayaks are great to accommodate your best friend. Grab adventure by the paddle and hit the water.Rent a Canoe/Kayak Now
Cabot Shores is located along Indian Brook, which leads you west to three amazing waterfalls and into the Indian Brook wilderness. Go north and you meet the French River wilderness. We have maps and have worked on developing a wilderness trail on the south and north sides of Indian Brook.
Hiking is always an adventure at Cabot Shores. We have many trails to recommend from all levels of difficulty, and every one offers you a different experience from beautiful waterfalls to mountain summits. Here’s some of what you’ll discover:
- Red Island Trail (1-1.5 hours round trip): Only 2 minutes drive from Cabot Shores this is a beautiful and quiet spot for stunning sights from ocean beaches to dense forest.
- Indian Brook Falls (2-3 hours round trip): It really depends on how often you stop for wild strawberries, swims, or the occasional photo. This is a challenging hike.
- North River Falls (5-6 hours round trip): Be prepared, this is a 16km hike. It’s looooooong.
- Black Brook Falls & Mary Ann Falls (15-20 minutes for each location): The two falls are about a four-minute drive from each other. It easy and quick!
- Glooscap Cave (4-5 hours round trip): Want a real challenge? Glooscap Cave (also known as The Fairy Hole) was created just for you. Be prepared though, it involves scaling a rock wall or taking a dip in the ocean. This is a tricky one, be sure to check with us for a list of supplies.
- Spinnakin Mountain Summit – Home of the Hidden Lakes (4 hours round trip): The views are so breathtaking, your hiking boots will transform into dancing shoes. Guided hike only.
Avid adventurer? Go winter hiking, snow-shoeing or cross country skiing ; there are a lot of trails to explore during the winter. You don’t have snowshoes with you? Don’t worry about it, you can rent a pair at the front desk for $10 + tax.Rent Snowshoes Now
In Whiff’s Lodge you’ll have access to 2 common rooms:
- One upstairs with a fireplace, a few couches and lots of books to read and relax.
- One downstairs with a ping pong and pool table, more books and board games for fun gatherings
Guest Wifi is available in our lodge.
Listed as 1 of 5 Quirky Stays On The East Coast of Canada
“A tree top village with Smurf-like domes rising out of the forest and Mongolian yurts in Nova Scotia? Indeed! Cabot Shores on Cape Breton Island entices you to embrace your nomadic roots and connect to nature. You can stay in one of the colourful yurts or opt for a geodesic dome raised up off the ground. Take in the lake views and the Atlantic waters on both sides, while the smell of cedar fills the air. Be sure to have your camera ready to snap a moose photo (they love it there).”
~ North American Traveller
“So Much Fun”
Beautiful surroundings and places to walk. Apple orchards, view of the bay, canoes and kayaks.
~ Lauren, Trip Adviser member
“Get Away from the City”
We had such a wonderful stay at Cabot Shores! Highly recommend to anyone who needs to get away from the city; just enjoy all that nature has to offer. Very pet friendly too! We will definitely be back!
~ Jenny, Halifax
“Fell Asleep to the Sound of the Ocean”
In the morning there was a homemade breakfast and organic, fair-trade coffee, followed by morning meditation and a snowshoe around the property. I had an absolutely incredible time and will definitely be back!
~ Dana, Halifax
“Private Hiking Trail”
We were very impressed by the private hiking trail behind the farmhouse that led to breathtaking views of the eastern shores and a blueberry patch where we picked the ripened fruit for breakfast.
~Jun C., Mississauga
Experience Cape Breton in exciting ways.
Our monthly newsletter offers the latest in new packages, recipes, deals and more.